Note: Contours and Polystrips will soon be released together as the RetopoFlow add-on. Read more
A True Retopology Tool
The Contours Retopology tool is an addon for Blender that provides quick and easy ways retopologize cylindrical forms. Use cases include organic forms, such as arms, legs, tentacles, tails, horns, etc.
The tool works by drawing strokes perpendicular to the form to define the contour of the shape. Immediately upon drawing the first stroke, a preview mesh is generated, showing you exactly what you’ll get. You can draw as many strokes as you like, in any order, from any direction.
- Stroke generated retopology – Quickly retopologize cylindrical forms in seconds!
- Automatic mesh preview – See exactly what you’re creating before committing to it.
- Automatic surface snapping – The retopo mesh automatically conforms to the original form.
- Loop adjustment controls – No need to get it perfect the first try, loops are adjustable.
- Set the loop vertex count – The vertex count for loops can be changed anytime before mesh generation.t
- Modalized – The viewport remains interactive while using Contours.
- Modal hotkeys – Manipulating strokes is easy with fast hotkeys.
- Undo support – Unintended changes? No problem, just undo.
- Add-on preferences – Contours comes with extensive preferences to adapt to your liking.
Contour tools makes a tedious task become a thing of seconds.
This is RETOPOLOGY! No workarounds, no mundane adjustments, it simply works.
Kudos for designing it the right way, should be held up as a standard for interactive tools in blender.
Earthworm Jim model by Uģis Brēķis – http://ub-artlog.blogspot.co.uk
- API fix for Blender 2.73
- Updated toolbar icon
- Improved various tooltips
- Cleaned up toolbar panel UI
- Improved guide-stroke style
- Changed Cursor-to-Stroke hotkey to SHIFT+S
- Misc internal cleanup
- Bug fix release to fix drawing of mesh preview when extending existing edge loops in Edit Mode.
- Rework theme options. Now there’s a green, blue, and orange theme rather than custom colors. The themes are much cleaner, yielding a nicer visualization.
- Add pretty handles and vertices, which draw round and smooth rather than square.
- Add surface filling of face visualization which greatly improves the display contrast and appearance.
- Remove old Polystrips/sketch code for cleanup (it was not usable and was left over from initial development testing..
- New Guide-mode feature for generating multiple strokes at once
- Back-face occlusion, making only the front-facing mesh previews show, making visualization cleaner.
- Trackpad navigation support
- Recoded mostly from the ground up to be more stable and versatile
- Created foundation for future tools like Poly Strips
- 100s of bug fixes
- New hotkey for activating Contours, CTRL+SHIFT+V
- Newly designed widget for transforming strokes that’s much easier to use.
- Modal hotkeys for rotate(R), slide(G), align(A, SHIFT+A, CTRL+A), etc.
- Modal hotkeys for centering cursor to stroke(C) and then snapping view to cursor(S).
- Modal support for changing views (front, side, perspective toggle, etc)
- Stroke translate function changed to edge slide for easier tweaking
- Stroke recovery option to restore accidental cancellations
- Undo support for stroking drawing and adjustments
- Clear Cache option in case of mesh change conflicts
- Over 50 bug fixes
- Stroke drawing to generate contours
- Automatic preview of generated retopology mesh
- Automatic surface snapping
- Vertex count adjustment controls
- Widget controls for stroke transform
- Add-on preferences